Work Permit and Extensions

If you are neither a Permanent Resident nor a Canadian Citizen, you may need a work permit to work in Canada. Most of the people do not know what “work” means under Canadian immigration laws, due to which they sometimes unknowingly infringe Canadian immigration laws by doing unauthorized work in Canada. But you must always remember one thing that “IGNORANCE OF LAW IS NO EXCUSE”.

As per Canadian immigration laws,  if you do any activity in Canada for which wages or commission is paid to you or if you do any activity in Canada which competes directly with activities of Canadian Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens in the Canadian Labour Market then your activity is considered as work in Canada.

Canadian immigration laws offer various work permit programs to authorize foreign nationals to work in Canada, some of which are as follows:

  • Co-op Work Permit Program;
  • Off-campus Work Permit Program;
  • Post-Graduation Work Permit Program;
  • Spouses or common-law spouses of full-time international students Work Permit Program;
  • Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) Work Permit Program;
  • Work Permit Program for applicants with no other means of support;
  • Work Permit Program for Permanent Residence applicants in Canada;
  • Work Permit Program for vulnerable workers in Canada;
  • Work Permit Program for humanitarian reasons;
  • Work Permit Program for unique work situations;
  • Work Permit Programs under special initiatives and pilot projects announced by Provincial, Territorial and Federal governments.

If you have any questions about Work Permits in Canada and want to know which Work Permit is most suitable in your situation, please contact  your own Canadian Immigration Lawyer Bikramjit Singh to schedule a consultation meeting to discuss your matter.

Phone: (780) 729 – 0007